Austin is known as the “Live Music Capital of the World” due to having a higher volume of live music venues per capita than any other city in the United States., but did you know that it’s also home to some great high schools?
Austin has various distinguished school districts in Texas, which means there are plenty of great high schools to choose from. And choosing where to send your child to high school can be one of the most important decisions you make as a parent.
Whether you’re looking to land your kid a spot at one of the top private or public schools in Austin, these 7 best high schools in Austin are listed below so you can decide which one works best for you and your family!
The Liberal Arts and Science Academy is a selective public magnet high school established in 2007. Even though the school is tuition-free, admission can be very competitive and requires prior academic records with the Cognitive Abilities Test.
LASA draws students from all over the city and is consistently ranked as one of the top high schools in Texas by US News & World Report.
The school offers a rigorous curriculum with plenty of opportunities for extracurricular involvement. Students can choose from a variety of clubs and organisations, and there are also many sports such as ultimate frisbee, swimming, tennis, golf, lacrosse, football, basketball, and many more.
Students have the opportunity to take Advanced Placement (AP) and over 120 honours courses. LASA also offers unique programs like the collaborative group where students research, implement and present projects in various subjects.
Chaparral Star Academy is a public K-12 and open-enrollment high school established in 1998 and is located in Summit Drive, Austin.
The school has an intensive academic program that offers Advanced Placement and college preparatory courses and is known for only operating on a 4-hour accelerated and compact curriculum. Students at Chaparral Academy can choose from either a morning session or an afternoon session.
Chaparral Star Academy also offers a variety of extracurricular activities, including sports, clubs, and volunteer opportunities. Students at Chaparral Star Academy are well-rounded and prepared for success in college and beyond.
If you’re looking for an all-girls school in Austin, the Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders is a great option. It’s a preparatory public high school serving students from grades 6 to 12 and was established in 2007 with the mission of empowering young women from all backgrounds to become tomorrow’s leaders.
This public high school offers students the opportunity to take Advanced Placement courses and a rigorous college-preparatory curriculum that is focused on STEM. The school also has a strong focus on leadership development, and students are involved in various community service projects.
In order to be admitted to Ann Richards, students must provide recent report cards from the former school, essays of interest, attendance records, teacher’s recommendations and standardised test scores. The school has an amazing community of passionate and driven young women who are supported by dedicated faculty and staff.
IDEA Montopolis College Preparatory is a public charter high school established in 1998 by two Teach For America Corps members, Tom Torkelson and JoAnn Gama. The school is serving Pre-K—12 students and was granted a charter in the year 2000 due to its quick academic success
IDEA institution has a 98% graduation rate and 100% of its graduates are accepted to college.
Students here are offered a rigorous curriculum that includes Advanced Placement and exams.
Both the student and their families can participate in interschool athletics, extracurricular activities includes clubs, service learning opportunities and sports such as football, volleyball. basketball, cross country and many more.
The school’s mission is to prepare all students for college and career success.
Westlake High School is a top public school in Austin, Texas, United States. It is part of the Eanes Independent School District and serves grades 9-12.
The school has been ranked as one of the best high schools in the nation by U.S. News & World Report and Niche. Westlake offers a rigorous academic program that includes Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) courses, as well as a wide range of extracurricular activities and sports teams.
Sports available at Westlake include football, basketball, track and field, baseball, softball, golf, wrestling, volleyball, tennis and more.
Westwood High School or simply WHS is a public four-year high school established in 1981 and is situated in Anderson Mill, in the city of Austin, Texas.
The school is part of the Round Rock Independent School District and serves grades 9-12. Westwood is consistently ranked as one of the best high schools in Texas and the nation. In 2013, Newsweek and The Daily Beast ranked Westwood as the 57th best high school in Austin and the 8th best high school in Texas. Students at Westwood are highly successful both inside and outside of the classroom.
Westwood offers a rigorous curriculum that includes Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) courses that not only support a robust academic experience and success but also have positive effects on college preparatory elements to upper-division courses.
As of the 2018-2019 school year, the school had an enrollment of 2,756 students and 165 academic staff (on an FTE basis), for a student-teacher ratio of 16.63.
Some of Westwood High School’s notable alumni are:
- Kelly Andrew Johnson, an American former professional baseball utility player who played in the MLB (Major League Baseball)
- Savan Harish Kotecha, an American Grammy-nominated songwriter and record producer
- Glen Thomas Powell Jr, an American actor who starred in movies such as “The Dark Knight Rises (2012)“, ‘The Expendables 3 (2014)” and many more
- Bryan Lee Vera, an American professional boxer competing as a super middleweight popularly known for defeating the undefeated Andy Lee in 2008
- Bren Aaron Clevlen, a former American professional baseball outfielder who played for the Detroit Tigers and Atlanta Braves
McCallum High School is a public high school located in Austin, Texas and established in 1953, making it the second-oldest in the AISD. The school serves grades nine through twelve and is part of the Austin Independent School District.
McCallum offers a rigorous academic program that includes Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate courses.
McCallum is known for its strong academics, competitive athletics, and fine arts programs. The school has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program.
The school offers a variety of sports, including football, basketball, track and field, and more. McCallum’s athletic teams have won numerous state championships, and the school has produced several professional athletes. If you’re looking for a top-notch high school in Austin, McCallum is a great choice.
Some of McCallum High School notable alumni are:
- Willie Frank Zapalac, a former American football linebacker and defensive end in the NFL (National Football League)
- Austin Nichols, an actor and movie director best known for his role in the CW drama series “One Tree Hill”
- Timothy Lennart Tim Kopra, an engineer, United States Army Colonel and a retired NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration)
- Andrew Steven Brown, an American attorney and politician
- Mathew Thomas Belisle, an American former professional baseball pitcher playing in the MLB (Major League Baseball)
- Jay Hoyland Arnette, an American former basketball player
- Robbie Beckett, a former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Wiley Ram Wiggins, a game designer, film actor, and member of Janis Joplin’s early band
In conclusion, these are the seven best high schools in Austin. Each school has something unique to offer, whether it’s a rigorous curriculum, competitive sports teams, or award-winning extracurricular programs.
They offer a variety of programs to meet the needs of all students, and they have a proven track record of success. If you’re looking for a great high school in Austin, one of these schools is sure to be a good fit for you.
- Usnews.com – Best High Schools in Austin, Texas
- Lasahighschool.org – Liberal Arts and Science Academy (LASA)
- Chaparralstaracademy.com – Chaparral Star Academy
- Annrichardsschool.org – Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders
- Ideapublicschools.org/our-schools/idea-montopolis – IDEA Montopolis College Preparatory
- Whs.eanesisd.net – Westlake High School
- Westwood.roundrockisd.org – Westwood High School
- Mccallumhs.com – McCallum High School
- 7 Best High Schools in Austin
- 5 Best Business Schools in Florida
- 6 Best Nursing Schools in Michigan
- Best Private Schools in NYC